Welcome to Bolton Academy
Started in August 2003, Bolton Academy provides education from Pre-Kindergarten through Fifth Grade for the Bolton, Riverside, Collier Hills and Whittier Mill neighborhoods. At Bolton, children learn and thrive in an environment supported by high teaching and education standards, including those provided by the International Baccalaureate® (IB) World School accreditation. We are a top-ranked public school located in the West Atlanta and Bolton communities, within the Atlanta Public School System.
We are proud of our students, administrators, teachers and families of Bolton and look forward to sharing our journey with you and your future Bolton students.
The administrators and teachers of Bolton Academy are guided by its mission to provide quality instruction to all students in order to promote academic excellence.
The school’s goal is to become an exemplar elementary school for focused learning and literacy in a community of global thinkers where students demonstrate strong character through their actions. This is being achieved through our IB curriculum. At Bolton Academy, teachers and administrators are charged with cultivating an environment that strives for intellectual success, social responsibility and strong character in each student. We want our children to:
- Celebrate diversity.
- Take risks and reap rewards.
- Inquire and seek answers.
- Reach higher and farther than they can imagine.
- Experience positive and supportive interactions.
- Demonstrate compassion towards each other and our environment.
Facts and Figures
- Opened in August 2003
- Address: 268 Adams Drive, Atlanta, GA 30318
- Approximately 672 students enrolled in 2013-2014, with an average class size of 22 students
- Demographic population as of 2013-2014*
- 34% Hispanic
- 40% African American
- 22% White
- 1% Asian
- 1% American Indian
- *2% demographics not identified
- 31 Classes to serve from Pre-K to Fifth, including 2 Special Education Classrooms – with room to grow
- Spanish taught twice a week
- International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme curriculum with New Common Core Standards for Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies
- Accelerated Reader & Journeys Reading Programs
- Specials instruction includes Art, Music, Physical Education, Technology
- Offers Gifted and Talented and Challenge Programs
- Accelerated Math program (Pi-rates) for Grades 1-5 & new Eureka Math program
- Art Enrichment Program
- Integrated technology in each classroom: Promethean Boards, Closed Circuit TV (with a broadcast center), dedicated Technology center, computers in each classroom, ELMO overhead note sharing and projection.
- iPads and other tablet interactive technology is also being added as made available to teachers
Middle and High School Affiliation:
Sutton Middle School, North Atlanta School
Bolton Academy is proud of our North Atlanta Cluster! Not only are we in great company with our fellow elementary schools, but we all feed into the same great middle and high schools (Sutton Middle School, North Atlanta High School).
Our entire cluster is fortunate enough and has worked hard to achieve IB certification in all of our fellow cluster schools, giving all of our students additional resources, challenges and instructional opportunities to truly become life-long learners.