We are so excited to invite you to attend Bolton Academy’s first Parent Empowerment Night to be held on Wednesday, September 13, 2017, from 5:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.! The evening will begin with a delicious pizza dinner, served in the cafeteria from 5:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Following dinner, parents will be able to attend four of five 30-minute empowerment sessions. Each session will provide general information and is not intended to be grade specific, so all parents are welcome to attend.
The information sessions will run concurrently as follows:
- 6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. – Session 1
- 6:30 p.m. – 7:00 P.m. – Session 2
- 7:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. – Session 3
- 7:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Session 4
Before the Parent Empowerment Night, parents are asked to select the four sessions they wish to attend.
The workshop sessions include the following:
- Balanced Literacy (Understanding the Daily 5 Framework): In this workshop, parents will receive an overview of the Daily 5 literacy framework from a literacy expert; learn about Lexile reading levels; discuss the DIBELS universal screener; and review how to interpret STAR reading reports.
- College and Career Readiness Index (CCRPI): Looking at Performance on State Tests: A data strategist from the district’s testing and accountability office will present an overview of the CCRPI to help with understanding how school performance is measured in the state of Georgia.
- Eureka Mathematics (Building Students’ Conceptual Understanding): This workshop will consist of an overview of the Eureka Math program and will include hands-on activities and real-world problems for parents to solve using the strategies, manipulatives and questioning techniques used in classrooms with students.
- International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (IB) and Dual Language Immersion: This workshop will provide an overview of the IB PYP approach to teaching and learning and a presentation on Dual Language Immersion as a strand bi-literacy program within the school’s curriculum.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and Elementary School Counseling: This workshop will entail a presentation about the school-wide SEL program, its impact on student learning and the ways in which it is included within the structure of an academic day for students. The discussion will also include ways in which the school counselor, (along with classroom teachers), supports students’ social and emotional well-being through push-in counseling courses.
Since the information sessions are intended for adults, any children who come to the event with their parent or guardian will be supervised in a separate location. To accommodate parents, we will host “Movie Night at Bolton” for children in the auditorium from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
We are looking forward to a great time of learning and we hope to truly empower all Bolton Academy parents! We hope to see you there!