Here's a list of six simple foods that are super healthy! (If you've got food allergies, be on the lookout for any of the items below that you should avoid.)
- Nuts: they are full of protein and good fats that lower "bad" cholesterol, as well as packed with fiber, vitamin E, folate, potassium, and magnesium
- Salmon: high in omega-3 fatty acids (a good fat!) and an excellent source of vitamin B12, vitamin D, and selenium
- Berries: high in antioxidants and polyphenols, which help fight chronic disease and cancer
- Dark green veggies: good sources of many vitamins (such as vitamins A, C, and K and folate) and minerals (such as iron and calcium); they're also great sources of fiber
- Quinoa: gluten-free, high in fiber and protein, and one of the few plant foods that contain all nine essential amino acids
- Dark chocolate: high in antioxidants, polyphenols, and flavonoids, which can help cognitive function
Keep these superfoods in mind as you're packing your snacks for summer road trips and camps!