We are so excited to invite you to attend our rescheduled Parent Empowerment Night to be held on Wednesday, October 25th. Our book fair will be open from 5-5:30 p.m., and we will meet in the cafeteria for a free pizza dinner at 5:30 p.m. Following dinner, parents will be able to attend four 30-minute empowerment sessions. Each session will provide general information and is not intended to be grade specific, so all parents are welcome to attend.
The information sessions will run concurrently as follows:
- 6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. – Session 1
- 6:30 p.m. – 7:00 P.m. – Session 2
- 7:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. – Session 3
- 7:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Session 4
The workshop sessions include the following:
- Balanced Literacy (Understanding the Daily 5 Framework): In this workshop, parents will receive an overview of the Daily 5 literacy framework from a literacy expert; learn about Lexile reading levels; discuss the DIBELS universal screener; and review how to interpret STAR reading reports.
- Eureka Mathematics (Building Students’ Conceptual Understanding): This workshop will consist of an overview of the Eureka Math program and will include hands-on activities and real-world problems for parents to solve using the strategies, manipulatives and questioning techniques used in classrooms with students.
- International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program (IB) and Dual Language Immersion: This workshop will provide an overview of the IB PYP approach to teaching and learning and a presentation on Dual Language Immersion as a strand bi-literacy program within the school’s curriculum.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and Elementary School Counseling: This workshop will entail a presentation about the school-wide SEL program, its impact on student learning and the ways in which it is included within the structure of an academic day for students. The discussion will also include ways in which the school counselor, (along with classroom teachers), supports students’ social and emotional well-being through push-in counseling courses.
- GO Team Introduction: The Atlanta Public School System (APS) became a charter district during the 2016-17 school year, and each APS school is in its second year of governance by a GO Team (local governance team). Each GO Team is represented by parents, faculty/staff, and community members, as well as the school's Principal. Come meet Bolton Academy's GO Team and hear about the 3-year School Strategy the Team created last school year.
Since the information sessions are intended for adults, any children (Pre-K - 5th grade) who come to the event with their parent or guardian will be supervised in a separate location. To accommodate parents, we will host “Movie Night at Bolton” for children in the auditorium from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
We are looking forward to a great time of learning and we hope to truly empower all Bolton Academy parents! We hope to see you there!